Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to update to a more advanced model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a departed family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids versus getting rid of.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to individuals who could really use them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Used Hearing Aid
- Of the total population, around 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who need hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be concerned. Because health problems like mental decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated hearing loss. The importance of your hearing to your general health is backed up by new studies coming out regularly. These health problems can be avoided and in some instances reversed by hearing aids.
And the final convincing point is that loss of hearing can cost the ordinary family $12,000 in earnings every single year. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by up to 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it may just not be feasible for them to afford a hearing aid.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your pre-owned hearing aids can have a big effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It may also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they are unable to hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are lots of volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and see us so we can advise you on the correct recycling choice for you. Or you can simply give us a call.