Everyone wants to stay youthful for as long as they can. We spend a great number of hours undertaking everything possible to stay young. From specialized diets to gym memberships to Botox to wrinkle creams. And yet, even with all that effort (and all those hours), we commonly neglect doing one simple thing that could actually work: wearing ear protection.
Hearing loss is often one of those “signs of aging” that we often consider to be inevitable. But it’s not that simple. By safeguarding your ears (and treating them with some kindness as you go), you can help prevent damage and keep your hearing in good condition. And excellent hearing can have considerable anti-aging effects as time goes by.
Hearing And Aging
When we speak about “aging” we don’t usually mean the actual passing of time. Instead, specific mental. emotional, or physical changes are indications that somebody is getting older. Pain in your joints is a great illustration of this. You may relate sore knees, for instance, with “getting old”. But lifestyle has as much to do with this as does age.
The same is true of many types of hearing loss. As you age, damage builds up. And in most cases, it’s the build-up of damage that causes the actual hearing degeneration. And that’s when things can begin to grow out of control. Untreated hearing loss has been related to a number of other indications of aging:
- When hearing problems are undetected and untreated they can sometimes accelerate the onset of other mental health issues, including dementia.
- Anxiety and depression have been demonstrated to have a significant connection to hearing loss.
- Self isolation from family and friends can be the consequence of neglected hearing loss.
- In some cases, problems like insomnia and loss of memory, can be initiated by the cognitive strain of attempting to hear. And, in an especially profound way, that can make you feel like you are aging.
So How do I Combat Age-Related Hearing Loss?
When you fight the “signs of aging” in your ears, you’re really placing a focus on preventing damage. And thankfully, there are a few ways to accomplish that. For instance, you can:
- Increase your awareness. It’s not only the painfully loud sounds that can cause harm. Moderate noise for extended durations can cause injury to your ears, too.
- Wear hearing protection to work if your job exposes you to loud noise. With modern quality ear muffs, loud noises are eliminated while voices are still able to be heard with clarity.
- Avoid loud noises as much as you can. And when you can’t stay away from high volume locations, use hearing protection. So when you go see that concert with your favorite band, be sure to wear earplugs.
Your ears can be protected by all of these actions. But in order to keep your hearing in good condition you can do one more thing: contact us for a hearing examination. Catching hearing loss before you even notice it can be accomplished by getting regular examinations. You should still get a screening even if your hearing is normal so that you can have a standard to compare against in the future.
Keep Your Ears Healthy by Wearing Hearing Aids
The world we live in can be loud. In spite of your best effort to protect your hearing, you still might ultimately notice some hearing loss. You need to get help as soon as possible if you do notice any symptoms of hearing loss. Some of the age related issues linked to hearing loss can be avoided with a quality pair of hearing aids.
You could perhaps consider hearing aids as a facelift for your ears: something to allow your ears to work a little more youthfully. And that can help keep depression, dementia, and other problems at bay. The example isn’t ideal, because hearing aids are needed and a facelift isn’t, but you get the point. Wrinkle creams could help you look younger. But if you actually want to fight aging and feel somewhat more youthful, your best choice is to safeguard your ears and deal with your hearing loss.